Webmaster Resource

Welcome to NeoEmpire.com.
If you enjoy fighting games, then this is the place for you.
Be sure to read the forum rules before you post. Ignorance is not a defence.
FORUM RULES **READ**
Go Back   Neo Empire Forum | Games discussion | Soul Calibur 5

Old 18-02-2010, 13:47   #1
Talon

Member No: 120
Talon will become famous soon enough
Default SC4 Vs Tekken 6

There is a lot of discussion vs the pros and cons of both games in this forum so why not make a thread about it :P

Its hard to compare the 2 games together as they are infinitley different however there are some simularities.

As you all probably know the soul calibur serieis is my preferred 3d fighting game to all, Soul calibur has always had the freedom of movement (the legendary 8way run) which give a whole new angle on 3d combat. Also the ability to air control is great too thus making soul calibur more a strategy based fighting game than combo orientated,

Anyway I could go on forever but I just wanted to start thigs off.

In my oppionion these are the P&Cs of both games

Soul calibur Pros

Air control
Guard button
8way run
Guard impact

Soul calibur Cons

Buffer system removed in SC4 (why do that???)
No running SC anymore (what made SC2 good)

Tekken 6 Pros

The sound effects when people get lashed (one of my favourite)
Large roster of characters
Probably the best wakeup game system in any fighter (But I personally dont like it)

Tekken 6 Cons

Stupid thing cant block when Backdshing
1 mistake can cost you 100% of your life in 1 combo (A ringout would have been more humane)
wayyyy to vunerable on the ground and getting up correctly is another story.

I know I am bias as I am a SC fan but there ya go
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 13:54   #2
BlackKnight

Member No:

I just play what I prefer. That's all I'm gonna say. Laugh at me as much as you want though I can end up playing both lol. I just want to enjoy and get good. I used to hate Tekken because I thought it was all about the stuff you listed. However, after sitting down and learning how the game works and all that I really appreciate it alot more (starting from 6BR).

It is still a topic worth discussing as long as one doesn't try to make the other feel bad for playing the other game since at this point they really do have qualities between them. Is it a true story that another team was involved in making 3/4? I feel 1 and 2 really capture what SC was more about with the more free roaming 3d combat. Also 2 had huge movelists with lots of stance transitions.

IV imo make character roles stand out alot more though. Grapplers are really good at what they're at. You got a self damage character w/really good pokes and damage. Real 'zoning' characters and other stuff like that. You also got the neat Soul Gauge dynamic which ironically certain 'weak' characters like Mina are good at giving her another strength for her wins.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 18-02-2010 at 14:57.
Old 18-02-2010, 15:51   #3
kaworu

Member No: 619
kaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to kaworu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Soul calibur Pros

Air control
Soul calibur Cons

Air control

---

A lot of people I have spoken to about SC hate the fact that juggles can be air controlled out of and guaranteed ones are too short and not as interesting as Tekken.

I like both but definately prefer Tekken. It feels a little bit more restricted (in terms of movement) but no so much that you feel limited in what you can do. Also it's just more fun, characters/combos/mix ups etc.
kaworu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 17:02   #4
geejay008

Member No: 15213
geejay008 will become famous soon enoughgeejay008 will become famous soon enough

haha! I knew a topic like this will spring up here eventually.. ^_^

As an avid Soulcalibur player... I initially was part of the 'ugh Tekken is SooOO inferior to SC in evahRYway! Dunno y Bamco lykes it BettAHH!! QQQQQQ' bandwaggon...

...however, because I recently got back into contact with a close family friend of mine.. who's really big into the Tekken Series.. my perspective of the game changed drastically!

Anyways, long story short, I made a deal with him... I get Tekken 6 & try to be good enough to provide a decent challenge for him whenever i play against him, and in return... he gets Soulcalibur 4 for his system (...he's got a ps3.. =/) and do the same for me...

A couple of months down the line... he's now an competent Amy/Raph player.. who plays evenly with my former SC 'Apprentice' who mains Cassy. At the same time, I'm just getting to the level of 'average' in T6, maining Chreddy adopting an 'annoying' style of gameplay (just ask those friendly peeps in Gamerbase Manchester! hahaha!).. ^_^

I can still beat him in SC, though not as badly as before.. & the same can be said for myself whenever I play against him in T6.. but we both have a great time sparring in both, & we almost always talk about ways in which we can improve both our gameplay in our respective series.. ^_^

In the end of it all, both of us has better appreciation for both games thanks to this crazy deal.. & it adds a player for both prospective SC community & the more established Manchester Tekken krew! hahaha!

My current opinion regarding Tekken 6:

Pros:

1. The most balanced FG in general, thanks to Bamco's TLC... =_=

2. BIGGER fanbase! A LOT of people plays this offline compared to SC..

3. Christie is very fine.. lol! ..but seriously, fighting styles & movements of certain players are very beautiful... ...still not as graceful as SC though.. ^_^

Cons:

1. STIFF!! STIFF!! STIFF!! ARGH!! >_< ...but ye, general movement in the game feels very very 'stiff' ...my mate says its only because I don't know the strings.. but bloody hell! A newbie in SC will still float like a bleedin butterfly.. a newbie in Tekken moves like a freakin geriatric!!

2. No air-control.. NO FREAKIN AIR CONTROL!!! wtf! make a mistake and your opponent becomes Hilde incarnate! ..only without the ringout! ..just enough damage to pretty much write off the round for you... esp if they wallsplat AND B! ur ass in that same juggle.. >_< Thank goodness for the 'Rage' system... though more than likely it still wont be enough to give a chance of a decent comeback.. =_=

3. No real 'range' variable.. since everyone (with the exception of one character.. who's also in the Soul series funnily enough.. =_=) can only go so far with their legs & fisticuffs... ...but thats a given since this is Tekken... =/ ...this can also probably go into the 'pro' bit since its one of the few elements that keeps this series relatively balanced.

My current opinion regarding Soulcalibur 4:

...here's a link to a post in the intro area expressing my views about this version of the soul series... =)

...there's probably more stuff I can put in this...but i got to go home... been in the office too long now because of this... =_=

Last edited by geejay008; 18-02-2010 at 18:30.
geejay008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 17:59   #5
BlackKnight

Member No:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaworu View Post
Soul calibur Cons

Air control

---

A lot of people I have spoken to about SC hate the fact that juggles can be air controlled out of and guaranteed ones are too short and not as interesting as Tekken.
To be fair it exists so that Ring Outs will occur way less frequently than to reduce damage. Certain aircontrols can be tagged but that requires a good read.
Old 18-02-2010, 18:06   #6
kaworu

Member No: 619
kaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond reputekaworu has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to kaworu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0kage View Post
To be fair it exists so that Ring Outs will occur way less frequently than to reduce damage. Certain aircontrols can be tagged but that requires a good read.
I forgot about ringouts, but i don't like them either. At least they make it a bit more original.
kaworu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 18:52   #7
Jamy

Member No: 2187
Jamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings stillJamy mans is saying couple tings still
Send a message via MSN to Jamy

TBH both games are my last choices for 3D Games. But Tekken is the only that really has a scene nowdays so i find myself playing that. I do prefer it over SCIV though. I think my main issues with IV is due to the fact you can just get skanked so clearly for essentially nothing, I mean I've casually played SB/SC since the beginning. It has always been my preference to Tekken except for this iteration.

I just find that ring out wins are so dry, and compared to the frequency say in VF5. It gets stupid. I see so many ringouts in SCIV, especially when i see people work their way in too characters with a dominant range game just to get smacked halfway across the screen in one hit, or in some cases (Hilde) one side of the ring to the other pretty much.

I don't personally agree with Guard Button being a pro. I personally prefer holding back to block. I HATE Tekkens get up system. (Inb4ohujustdonknowit) I know how it works but i still think It's retarded.

I like both series alot but SCIV just bugs me, i found the game was far less skanky in previous games personally. I agree with you on the 8 Way Run, I much prefer it to T6 movement. I also agree with the Guard Impact, sorta like Just Defense but in a 3D game.

I kinda like the way Tekken punishment game works.

I'm sorta distracted as of right now. So i may expand on this later.
Old 18-02-2010, 18:55   #8
Crème brûlée

Member No: 691
Crème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to beholdCrème brûlée is a splendid one to behold

pointless topic IMO, both games are different, dont play the same way.
Crème brûlée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 20:07   #9
geejay008

geejay008 will become famous soon enoughgeejay008 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiqwolf View Post
pointless topic IMO, both games are different, dont play the same way.
...only that Tekken gets moar luv from Bamco.. SC4 would be perfect right now if Bamco paid just as smidgen more attention to it.. instead it brings out a bleedin PSP port! =((

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
I just find that ring out wins are so dry, and compared to the frequency say in VF5. It gets stupid. I see so many ringouts in SCIV, especially when i see people work their way in too characters with a dominant range game just to get smacked halfway across the screen in one hit, or in some cases (Hilde) one side of the ring to the other pretty much.
I know some people find ring-outs 'cheap' ...the cassy player i normally spar with goes as far to 'apologise' for every ringout she does against me! >_< I tell her the same thing all the time:

Ring-outs is just another way to win the round in this game!
And its just as fair as pummelling your opponent to KO or CF his/her ass! Each and every character in SC (...with the exception of a certain flagpole & shortsword wielding female.. which I wont go into just yet... =_=) is every bit as capable of ringing out the other and turn the tide of the match in their favour! & i congratulate her on a successful reversal of the round if ever her strategy lands my character into oblivion... because I know I also have just as much chance of avoiding getting rung out.

Only one character in the roster has a potential to 'cheapen' the ring-out game and its our good friend Hilde. In my opinion, she makes an great and interesting addtion to the roster... & her 'charge' type of game is a great and potentially a positive addition to SC... and I always relish the challenge of facing online/offline players who's really REALLY good with her.

unfortunately, her risk/reward game is skewed more on her favour whenever she's in a 'ring-out' map.. in that any wiff made by her opponent will more than likely result in her dreaded 'Doom Combo' which will more than likely land them in the drink.. wherever they are in the map.. the opportunity to land this combo is further enhanced by her better than average 'step'. Coupled with the fact that her obvious weakness to 'throw games' gets nullified if ever someone button binds more than 1 A's & B's.. she potentially becomes more of a 'chore' to deal with.. thus making ring-outs she makes all the more cheap.. =\

luckily, this doesnt apply here in merry olde england.. due 2 SC's 'un'-popularity in this country.. no uk player has ever developed a 'hilde' good enough to reach 'brokenes' level.. =/

The result of this is her ass being banned in US tournaments.. & I hear she'll also be banned in France after the WGC in Cannes next month... =(

...this is annoying because Bamco could've prevented this with a simple 'patch'...but that will never happen.. QQQQ =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamy View Post
I don't personally agree with Guard Button being a pro. I personally prefer holding back to block.
...I can appreciate both types of 'defense'.. but I feel the 'guard button' allows for the more interesting defensive mechanic that is the Guard Impact/Parry.. ..& its not character specific in SC.. ^_^

Tekken enthusiast rejoice for great game that is Tekken 6 ...& be thankful for the TLC that Bamco has given your beloved game... time & time again.. =)

We SC fans will be old gits by the time we get any decent attention from Bamco... =(

Last edited by geejay008; 18-02-2010 at 21:11.
Old 19-02-2010, 12:31   #10
Talon

If we gonna break it down I got a lot to say about all of them.

Soul Calubur 1 (Dreamcast)

The one that started it off, this is stil one of my favorites simply because of the amount of bugs in it. The size of the stages here were so small people could get rung out within 3 seconds

Soul Calubur 2

This had the biggest following and it was the first game I ever played on competition level. The running soul charge was probably the best thing in any soul calibur game but in all honesty this is my least favorite game out of the 4.

Pros

Running soul charge with guard crushes
Best Talim ever
Lots of hidden movesets

Soul Calubur 3

This is my favorite of all. Yes it was broken and full of bugs but thats what I liked about it tbh. if you took out X from this game it became a really fun game to play. The only mistake they made here was putting Hwang, Li long and Amy in the bonus character section (Thus giving the french a reason to ban them).

Pros.

Hwang (need I say more)
the fastest paced soul calibur so far
Has the buffer system that 4 does not

Cons
VC (this is actually a pro and a con)

Soul Calubur 4

A more balanced soul calibur which makes it a good competition game. Though I do like this game it is the 2nd worts for me for the following reasons.

Cons

WTF happened to buffering?????
Slow.com, they slowed it down for no reason at all
Tech crouching means nothing when it coes to high grabs (I am sure you all know what I mean by this)
Cant GI grabs.

Yeah I can go on forever but dont wanna bore you.
Old 19-02-2010, 13:47   #11
BlackKnight

Member No:

I thought being able to GI grabs like that is dumb. At least now it's a JI so if you still want to opt to that you gotta take more of a gamble.

I feel Soul Charge is one of the more interesting mechanics out there.

My favourite is actually 3AE.
Old 19-02-2010, 14:00   #12
Talon

Default ...

3AE was good no doubt.

The only thing I hated was everyone using X spamming the insane 33B,B,B 1B, B combo of death.

Astroth was a monster too but he was not even close to X

1 Thing I can say is very good about tekken is that EVERYONE can do half bar combos, so in that sence it brings more balance
Old 19-02-2010, 17:01   #13
geejay008

Quote:

Soul Calubur 3

This is my favorite of all. Yes it was broken and full of bugs but thats what I liked about it tbh. if you took out X from this game it became a really fun game to play. The only mistake they made here was putting Hwang, Li long and Amy in the bonus character section (Thus giving the french a reason to ban them).

Pros.

Hwang (need I say more)
the fastest paced soul calibur so far
Has the buffer system that 4 does not

Cons
VC (this is actually a pro and a con)
SC3 is indeed the fastest, & the most fun of them all... & for that fact alone it holds a special place in my heart... ^_^

But unfortunately, we truly cannot deny that the game was really broke:

• As much as VC would have been a great addition to the game mechanics... (Charge Cancels for everyone! >_<) it gave ridiculous advantage for certain characters.. take a look at this vid for example.. =_=

• ...don't know which one I would dread facing.. US Ver. SC3 Xianghua or SC4 Hilde... =_= ...in fact, I wonder which one would win if they were to fight it out?? 0_o LOL!

..But yes.. SC3 Xianghua was too godly... nuff said... =P

Quote:

Soul Calubur 4

A more balanced soul calibur which makes it a good competition game. Though I do like this game it is the 2nd worts for me for the following reasons.

Cons

WTF happened to buffering?????
Slow.com, they slowed it down for no reason at all
Tech crouching means nothing when it coes to high grabs (I am sure you all know what I mean by this)
Cant GI grabs.

Yeah I can go on forever but dont wanna bore you.

• Buffering is still in there... just not as lax as it was in SC3... =/

• Slowcalibur4 helps me sleep better through the night... =_=

• They didn't include Hwang because the developers saw how he easily kicked SC3 Xianghua's ass.. so in their efforts to avoid another mass whinging from SC communities worldwide.. they took him off the roster.. and replaced him with Hilde... ^_^
Old 20-02-2010, 00:20   #14
Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geejay008 View Post
SC3 is indeed the fastest, & the most fun of them all... & for that fact alone it holds a special place in my heart... ^_^

But unfortunately, we truly cannot deny that the game was really broke:

• As much as VC would have been a great addition to the game mechanics... (Charge Cancels for everyone! >_<) it gave ridiculous advantage for certain characters.. take a look at this vid for example
That made my day lol.

Now even when I play casuals with friends we have an unwritten rule to only do VC post GI, Guard breaks and Back grabs (as the first 2 are not easy to do) anything else is just plain wrong.

This was a ranked match and the lizardman player did not give a shit lol. tbh he probably would have won anyway but still. too funny
Old 20-02-2010, 13:20   #15
Shoju

Member No: 1331
Shoju is a jewel in the roughShoju is a jewel in the roughShoju is a jewel in the roughShoju is a jewel in the rough

Both SC and VF have shown the benefits of a guard button. Like I said in the other thread you can guard buffer, feint more easily, and guard cancel your movement instantly (something used to devastating effect in VF4).

I'm not a fan of Tekken 6's movement system, it feels a bit slippery like you can't stop quite quickly enough and you can get clipped after a back dash when you should have blocked. Although T6 isn't all about juggles I still hate how long they gone on for and it gets tiresome after a while so I appreciate air control. You can still get good combos in SC4 due to the stuns and walls and some juggles can't be air controlled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-p0fdV9wgo

I'm not quite convinced about the Tekken crush system so far. Low punch can get crushed by a hopkick for massive damage but if I block that hopkick I get only get jab punishment? One other thing about Tekken is the lack of defensive options. Once your at around -6 to -9 it seems like there's nothing you can do about a fast mid (unless your using certain characters) but stand and block. SW feels very risky at those times due to it's startup and double input. SC at least gives you a GI and a faster SW.

I'm gonna still carry on with Tekken for a while though and see if I can't overcome some of my issues with it. I think VF is better than both of them in every department though. Movement, defensive/offensive options, throws, wakeups, and character and system balance. It's always felt more refined and finely tuned.

Last edited by Shoju; 20-02-2010 at 14:11.
Shoju is offline   Reply With Quote